This is my Hot Cross Buns recipe that I love making for Easter.
375 ml milk
60 g butter
480 g cake flour
65 ml castor sugar
10 ml mixed spice
5 ml ground cinnamon
10 g instant dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
250 ml sultanas
125 ml cake flour
75 ml milk or water
30 ml milk
30 ml castor sugar
1. Heat milk and butter together, leave to cool slightly.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, spices and yeast.
3. Stir in lukewarm milk and butter, egg and sultanas. Knead well until smooth (10 minutes), cover and leave in a warm place until dough has doubled in size.
4. Knead dough for a few minutes until smooth. Divide into 18 small balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and leave to rise until double in size.
5. CROSSES: Mix flour and sugar, add enough water to form a smooth paste. Place flour paste in a piping bag and, using small plain tube, make crosses on buns.
6. Bake in a 180 ºC oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
GLAZE: Heat milk and sugar together, without boiling. Turn buns onto wire rack, brush with hot glaze and cool.